27 July 2012

Searching and Finding

Day 1 Friday 

A strong intention has now been set and sealed:
My bedroom has been rearranged: instead of having my bed under the window in the centre of the wall and my yoga mat in the long space next to the bed, I've moved the bed to the corner of the room and my yoga practice space is now in the middle of the room. 
It is a yoga room now, not a bedroom.

The morning was spent getting my physical environment in order: cleaning up my house, doing some shopping, washing clothes, all really part of a mental spring cleaning. 

Sipping on my green smoothie for lunch (red grapes, banana, pear, orange, pineapple, spinach, kale, spirulina) , I contemplated what kind of yoga practice to do this afternoon. 
I felt like a change, something fresh and completely different to challenge me. The hot yoga classes were a new challenge for a while until the novelty wore off. Likewise, the wrist weights injected a quick fix, so did videoing my practice.
Seems like I've been looking for inspiration to revitalize my interest in yoga practice.

I want to fall in love again.

Seek and Ye Shall Find

These phases of seeking stimulation come and go, they are a natural part of the journey, like the seasons or the ebb and flow of the tides - there are times when I need a steady, consistent and internal practice (autumn, winter?) and there are times when I feel the need to explore new possibilities, extend beyond the known horizons, play with the fresh energy of spring: that's usually when I return to a yoga classes, or look for new sequences and poses that I wouldn't normally include in my practice.

I'm aware that this undercurrent of energy leads me out into new territory; I am equally aware that the universe is often waiting for me at the other end, waiting with just the most perfect thing that I need right now to propel me forward on my journey.

Therefore I seek, sometimes in the dark, knowing that something is out there waiting for me to find it.


Youtube Yoga Videos

I checked out Youtube for some new sequences to practice with. 
Three of Sadie Nardini's core sequences looked useful - working on my deep core strength helps build support for my unstable lower back. I did the first two sequences back to back (Weight Loss and Yoga Flow) as they were only about 30 minutes each, the third one was a rather disappointing cool down sequence. The challenge of so many Warrior lunge variations satisfied my physical needs and the novelty of being led through an unfamiliar Vinyasa sequence was fun.

Not until I found what the universe had in store for me did I realise how easily I'd been seduced and satisfied with superficiality...


Lino Miele

You see during my internet travels seeking new sequences, I unwittingly stumbled upon Lino Miele's DVD1 Primary practice.

It wasn't until later in the evening that I watched bits of this and right from the first minute of watching, I knew this was it. I was spellbound.

This video of Lino practicing is the most beautiful practice that I've ever witnessed. 
Pared back to it's essential purity, with full vinyasas, all movements riding on the the waves of the breath, no frills, no embellishments, no ego.
The only verbal instructions are the quiet methodical vinyasa counts. 
The background music is hypnotic Indian chanting; the studio setting is perfect - it is bathed in a a warm orange glow (devotional colour) and light filters through etherial white curtains; the filming is non-intrusive yet every movement is clearly visible. 

This demonstration of the ashtanga primary series is so much more than inspiration for me, it is what I've been searching for. 

Tonight, having watched a a few small sections of the video, I can barely wait to practice tomorrow under Lino's hypnotic spell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yоu need tо tаke part in a cоnteѕt
for onе of thе best websitеs on
the іntеrnet. I most certaіnly will highly
recommend this web site!
Also see my webpage > health and fitness