22 June 2022

Richard Moss and Urdhva Dhanurasana


Richard Moss

This video on the conscious dying process from Richard Moss came up on my feed this morning.  I was momentarily stunned thinking this beautiful teacher may be dying.  But the ‘death’ he spoke about was of the ego.  

Richard has aged since I last watched him a year or so ago.  We all have.  

The message in the video was a timely reminder this morning – I am the subject, the One witnessing consciousness without form or boundaries.  This body, these thoughts and feelings are objects that appear in that One consciousness.  And they are made of that consciousness. 

This is experienced and known deeply here, but now and then the conditioned patterns of fear arise, especially when threatened by pain, illness and physical decline.
So the illusory nature of this life was clearly seen again.  
Surrender drowned out the voices of fear.
And peace returned.

Urdhva Dhanurasana


The backbend is back.

After another led yoga session late this morning (courtesy of Bryan Kests Power Yoga 2), I lingered on the mat for some additional long forward bends, staying at least ten breaths in each.  It’s been such a long time since I engaged with yoga I can hardly remember their names anymore.  Google helped to reacquaint me: Paschimottanasana, Janu Sirsasana, Ardha Baddha Padma Paschimottanasana, Marichyasana A.


I thought about attempting Urdhva Dhanurasana and decided to go for it.  Needed to prepare by laying over a block with arms overhead to stretch my shoulders.  Then I pushed up into Urdhva Dh.  It wasn’t easy, but I was able to stay for a few breaths.  Surprisingly, the physical limitation to staying longer seemed to be mostly in my wrists.  Then I came down, took a few breaths and repeated it.


A few quiet seated poses rounded off the practice – Baddha Konasana, Virasana and Gomukasana.


For more than 30 years I believed that yoga was a fountain of youth and that it would prevent any and all kinds of ill health as one aged.  Then I lost my yoga practice completely for 10 years.  And the physical and energetic body contracted with trauma, becoming an external reflection of the inner survival mechanisms.  

Now, living with this cervical spine injury, I am happy to return to the innocent ideal that yoga heals.  I have nothing to lose.  It is a beautiful system that can often repair and rebalance the physical organism.
I am blessed to have learned yoga in my earlier years and to now have the opportunity to experiment with it in a more gentle and curious manner, with no expectations.


No comments: