16 September 2015

Director and Observer

A 1 hour evening practice tonight.  Deep, intense, focussed, quiet.

Supta Baddha Konasana and Supta Virasana (both on a bolster to destress my body from the day’s hard physical work)
Cross Legged forward bend
Supta Padangusthasana
A very long Paschimottanasana
Baddha Konasana – I released into this pose, much more than usual tonight.  There is deep emotional tension stored in my muscles that restricts opening in the hips. Although slightly frustrating on one hand because I used to easily go forward flat to the floor, on the other hand it's a fascinating challenge to gently overcome the resistance and observe the pose unlocking the tension.  I take heart knowing that there is corresonding opening in the mind and heart as the body physically releases emotional trauma.
Janu Sirsasana
Parivritta Janu Sirsasana – a twisted side bend from a very wide Janu Sirsasana
Upavista Konasana
Marichyasana A
Marichyasana C
Shoulderstand, Halasana, Karna Pindasana
Savasana

During practice my focus is laser sharp, internal and microscopic, I am moving through my body with great precision, watching and feeling tissues tightening and relaxing, muscles and hard tendons releasing, joints opening, blood flow stopping and starting, all while working in the poses. 
My mind is split: one part is directing the pose and managing the balance between intensity and release.  The other part is observing the effects and monitoring degrees of safety, intensity, progress.
Yet another part is feeling love, joy and gratitude, for being alive and being able to do yoga.


Yoga unites all these parts into one seamless whole that is much greater than what we can possibly imagine.

No comments: